12 June 2009

You gotta know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em

Written 9 June 2009:

I’m sitting in my bedroom listening to traditional African drumming and singing coming from the hotel. It’s grand opening night tonight. We were not invited but I had the chance to sneak my way – a man offered to get me in if I went and got dressed up for the occasion. The problem – quite humorous, I admit – was that I had just changed into my “nice clothes.” So I told the man this, and he laughed in my face. Ha. He thought I was kidding, but it’s the nicest I’ve looked in a while. Perhaps indicative of a problem . . .

Anyway, it’s the GRAND OPENING of the Robert L. Johnson Kendeja Resort. I mentioned this before – it’s a huge, fancy, ridiculous place in the midst of regular Liberian people. It just seems opulent and obnoxious. I have since heard some of the back story which is both interesting and makes the place seem a little better. First of all, Mr. Johnson – who I never heard of before coming to Liberia but who I believe owns BET and who is known here as “the richest black man in America” – went to Ellen and said, “I want to invest in Liberia, what do you need?” Apparently, a very nice hotel. Ok, I can see that, you can’t encourage tourism without a nice place to stay.

I think I mentioned that they knocked down the youth cultural center in order to build the hotel. That is still true, but they already broke ground at the new site of the cultural center – which will also include a clinic and a brand new school. Currently, the hotel employs just under 200 Liberians, and I heard that will increase to 300-400 when it is running at full capacity. So, I still think it’s oddly placed and mildly offensive, BUT it isn’t, perhaps, the devil. I got all this information from Sekki, my new friend at the Attaya Shop. I’m still boycotting the hotel though.

Mostly, the music has been drumming and clear African rhythms, but not long ago I heard, “You got know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em, you gotta know when to walk away…..” Very random. Ellen is actually there for the ceremony. I kind of wish I had gone over – after dressing much nicer than I am now apparently – just to check out what’s going on. But Irena, in Saypa’s compound, had just gotten back from traveling and brought me a pineapple, which was so so nice of her, so I went there instead to eat it (delicious!!!) and chat (they are awesome). They've started to try to teach me Kpelle (pel-lay) . . . though I think I may have already written about that so I'll stop here. . .

1 comment:

  1. You've gotta teach me Kpelle - you know Niaple is from that dialect...

    ReplyDelete